Monday, November 07, 2005

10 Things... no. 4: nuisance calls

I've just been called by Supreme Promotions (unfortunately not the Supreme Promotions who apparently promote music events in the Caribbean). I didn't stay on the line very long, but I know, because they've called me before, that they sell double-glazing. Last time, in fact, I told them in (what I now realise) was my smarmiest manner, that I wasn't going to answer their questions (they dress up their sales pitch as a survey). This succeeded in provoking their caller, and a slanging match resulted (it hurts, yes, but I can't help also being amused that someone in a call centre, selling, yes, I repeat, double-glazing, can call a complete stranger a "loser"). Just what I wanted first thing in the morning. Anyway, it didn't take long to find them on the internet (this site lists a few other great firms I may have to mention again). Seems to me they are ignoring the Telephone Preference Service, though some comments here (out of date?) suggest the service doesn't do what I think it does. Either way, what are TPS (and Ofcom etc.) doing? Don't they realise the cost of these ridiculous calls in peoples' time? (I read that it takes 15 minutes to get back into "flow" after having your concentration broken).

I even got called by the reputable NOP organisation (though now taken over by some other firm) at Sunday lunchtime(!!) a week ago. All sorts of excuses - my number must have "slipped through" (defying much of computer science), the call was not covered by TPS provisions, etc. - then an apologetic manager on the line, all of which left me totally confused what their policy was. According to the TPS site if I don't want unsolicited calls I shouldn't get them. Why aren't we getting tough with these companies? Why aren't their executives and directors being served with ASBOs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home